Here’s a continuation of the lookback at the various stages of building My Nuvali Home, this part in the finishing stage:
Click here for Part 1: Foundation and Structure and Part 3: Furnishing (to follow).
PART 2: Finishing
November 2011 – The house in white: first coating of paint. This primer did wonders for the overall feel of the house: it brought in light. If you’ve also built a house, you know this eureka moment of the illusion of space! White is truly light. Liwanag.
Inspecting pipes and wiring inside the ceiling.
December 2011 – a preview of my concrete floor. While others still weren’t convinced of my industrial look, I really loved how this turned out, even on day one!
A first look at the skylight through the bathroom light well.
A quick peek at the 3rd floor:
The house at night.
A few days before Christmas 2011
The living and dining areas already taking shape…
Creating the divider for the bedroom and hallway…
February 2012 – Installing stoneworks on the facade.
We also made an (unsuccessful) attempt to install automated watering pipes for the roof garden on the third floor. Months later we would remove these pipes and waterproof the roofdeck 2-3 times over.
Assembling the stairs leading to the 3rd floor:
March 2012 – Picking the interior wall colors for the rooms and living areas:
Windows installed. Critical to allow interiors to be painted (and safeguarded from the rain).
Carport and lanai trellis…
Kitchen layout getting there…
I eventually had this wooden table shortened to allow for more moving space in the kitchen.
Shelving and cabinets also taking shape:
April 2012 – The front door!
The duco finish on these cabinets took some time to finish because of the many color variations.
One of my favorite design elements of the house — the salvaged wood wall in the living/dining area — shown here in its initial stages.
Bathrooms taking shape.
We installed these jalousie windows along the stairways for ventilation but I didn’t like how they turned out visually. I eventually decided to give up the ventilation feature and had the jalousies replaced with fixed glass/picture windows.
The concrete flooring now sealed with an acrylic coating for concrete surfaces: looking good!
Raising the perimeter fence — I wanted the privacy of a high fence but also cross-ventilation throughout the living area on the ground floor. Our design solution was to use grills with screens to let air through, and to keep the area from bugs and insects.
August 2012 – Attempt#2 to install the polycarbonate roofing on the side trellises.
The first rolls of polycarb I bought got drenched and warped, so I had to order a second set. Was an expensive mistake
Half-walled and still with a full view of the Tagaytay mountains. Because of village restrictions I had to build a higher wall which would board up/restrict this view.
To be continued…
Click here for Part 1: Foundation and Structure and stay tuned for Part 3: Furnishing.